Friday, January 28, 2011

Borago Officinalis (Starflower)



I adore flowers and what better way to combine 2 passions than to find edible flowers, a much loved haute cuisine ingredient. I was pleasantly surprised to find a packet of gourmand Borago Officinalis seeds at a nearby plant nursery. A perennial in our lovely tropical weather, I am looking forward to the fruits or in this case flowers of my labour. 


This extremely useful little plant has edible leaves and flowers, with it's seeds yielding an oil as effective as evening primrose as a GLA supplement. Starflowers are THE original ingredient used in pimm's cocktail, nowadays substituted with cucumber. Commonly tossed in salads, it's beautiful blue flowers yield a slight honeyed taste that is excellent as a condiment for desserts. I read that the flowers were candied in olden days. I imagine using it to dress my cakes...can't wait.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will take some time to appear. Please be patient.