Friday, November 24, 2017

Application for U.S. Visa & other legalities


Planning my next vacation...


It seems the rules have changed a little since the last time I traveled to America. Nowadays, I can still travel Visa free for 90 days or less (about 3 months) provided I have ESTA authorization on my passport and the airline I am using is aware of and approves of me travelling Visa free. How do I check with the airline on this when I book the ticket through a travel agent or online. ESTA is the Electronic System for Travel Authorization and online applications are only USD$14, if denied approval then it only costs USD$4.


The most common type of visa to apply for is B-1/B-2 for business or leisure (including medical treatment). For this type of visa, you're usually staying for 6 months to 2 years and it costs USD$160 to apply for. There is a validity period of 10 years but that is not relevant to us as we need to specify the departure and return dates on the visa application.

image from acedrive.sg

Driving a car or atv in America requires a Driver's License. Our driving license is valid in the U.S. for only the first year as an international driving license. Any stay longer than a year requires you to sit for and pass the State driving tests. This local U.S. driving licence allows you to drive only in the State the license is issued in. To obtain an all-state U.S. driving licence, you need to give up (confiscate) your home country driver's licence. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will take some time to appear. Please be patient.