Friday, August 11, 2017

Getting a Ride...


Everyone has heard about how expensive cars cost in Singapore and the registration, road tax, COE just kills it. I was considering alternatives and the first thing I thought of was second hand cars. Not those sitting in the used car lots for years but rather those with a few years remaining on the COE. That way I can save money & effort to still get a pretty decent ride. Used cars are old enough so I won't cringe if I dent it and new enough to not worry about car servicing, although everyone warns you about that.


Looking at sgcarmart, I found a Chevrolet Aveo 5 with 3 months on the COE for just S$2,900. It was registered in 2007 so its 10 years old. Back then, the retail price would have been around $80,000 and COE $40,000, plus another $20,000 for registration, road tax etc. So this price is just ridiculous to me. For under $10,000 category, this was the only new-ish car I could find, all the other vehicles are kinda vintage-y. 


I am also really impartial to this Renault Kangoo, also made in 2007 and has about 4 months left on its COE. Selling for S$5,000. The original retail price of this car is around $60,000 plus another $60,000 for the other stuff. You can load a bunch of things into the back. For example, goods to sell or buy, groceries for your eatery or yourself, all your worldly possessions.


If you have more people to transport, the Mercedes Benz Sprinter seems fairly popular @ $17,000 with a year left on its COE. Sits 14 people including driver.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will take some time to appear. Please be patient.