Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Take-Out


Given that it is raining, there aren’t many options for lunch. Especially since there isn't a sheltered walkway from my office to the central food area. There is the usual fast food and now there is even dim sum and peranakan food takeaway. Then, we found a canteen operator catering to office workers in this area. I haven’t seen one since my first job as a temp in a government agency. You call and order the day’s special before 10.30am in the morning and they deliver cheap, good and hot food to you by noon. There is something new everyday and the menu keeps changing from week to week. You know you have worked too long for one company when you have tasted the entire menu twice. Well, maybe to long for a temp that is.

I remember in those days, people would just walk into the office to sell things to the staff (like MLM). I also remember actually buying some of that stuff (a set of children’s fairy tale books). You don’t see many of those anymore. When I had my first real job at Citibank, the closest thing that came to it was when they booked a meeting room for a day to lay out and sell children’s clothes to the staff. In my second job at UBS, an internal committee will also book a meeting room to sell organic produce. Apparently, it was a yearly affair. So, it may sound strange that I haven’t encountered anything close to this at my current workplace. Or, maybe there just aren’t many MLM schemes around these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will take some time to appear. Please be patient.